kdrive performance

Damian Gatabria damian at gatabria.com.ar
Tue Dec 7 19:13:56 PST 2004

Hi again.

	I've run my first tests using Kdrive on low-end
computers (AMD k6 running at 233 Mhz with 96MB of RAM and a
PCI Trident TGUI graphics card) and i've found it's
performace is noticeably lower when compared to
an old XFree86 release such as 3.3.6 running with the
"svga" driver. This is what this machine is running currently
but i'm in the need to switch to something smaller and/or
with a lower memory footprint.

This is what i'm using to build Kdrive:

./configure  --disable-xv --disable-shape --disable-composite
--disable-xres --disable-xrecord --disable-screensaver --disable-xdmcp
--disable-xdm-auth-1 --disable-tcp-transport --disable-ipv6

I'm guessing that XFree3 is faster because being an
older piece of software, it's probably a lot simpler
in design. Is there a way to achieve similar results
using kdrive, or any documentation i can refer to?

Thanks