[Xorg] DRI merging

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 22:42:58 PDT 2004

X on GL won't ship anywhere for at least a year. It will probably be two years
before it is in wide spread use. You can get good 3D cards for $35 now, in two
years due to Longhorn all systems will be shipping with them.

I still own an 8086 based machine with no protected mode, does that mean that
Linux should not support protect mode? You can;t look backwards at hardware
support, if you do you will never add any new features.

There are plans for supporting non-accelerated cards, but you can't expect them
to perform like a decent 3D one. No amount of software is going to make my 8086
play a reasonable game of Quake.

--- Daniel Stone <daniel at freedesktop.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 10:07:59PM -0700, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > X on GL has no impact on remote X. Tests with glitz show a 100:1 speed
> > improvement for local drawing.
>
> ... on 3D-heavy cards, no?
>
> I wonder what those same tests would show for the S3 Trio64 my sister
> runs, or the ATI RageIIC my mother runs. I'm not disparaging your
> efforts, but:
>   * A first-class windowing system is wasted if all the apps around are
>     crap, or don't make use of it, or both.
>   * Have you tested on lower-end cards, or only the new, insane,
>     3D-centric cards? A performance hit on already-slow graphics
>     hardware would be bad.
>
> --
> Daniel Stone
> <daniel at freedesktop.org>
> freedesktop.org: powering your desktop
> http://www.freedesktop.org
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com