[Xorg] DRI merging

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sun Jun 13 22:51:44 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 10:42:58PM -0700, Jon Smirl wrote:
> X on GL won't ship anywhere for at least a year. It will probably be two years
> before it is in wide spread use. You can get good 3D cards for $35 now, in two
> years due to Longhorn all systems will be shipping with them.

So? My sister still uses a P120, and is happy with it. Why should she be
forced to upgrade?

> I still own an 8086 based machine with no protected mode, does that mean that
> Linux should not support protect mode? You can;t look backwards at hardware
> support, if you do you will never add any new features.

I am not suggesting *removing* support, rather *adding* support. Should
we get rid of support for sub-AthlonXP-class while we're at it? No-one
uses those old pieces of crap.

> There are plans for supporting non-accelerated cards, but you can't expect them
> to perform like a decent 3D one. No amount of software is going to make my 8086
> play a reasonable game of Quake.

Yeah, but windowing systems shouldn't have the same system requirements
as Quake.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org