Debugging X.org drivers?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Mon Nov 1 18:26:59 PST 2004

Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:

> On Friday 29 October 2004 20:57, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > X11R6.8 has the ability to load .so files as well as the XFree86 loader,
> > and therefore is able to be debugged using a standard GDB.
> >
> > I don't know the exact details; IIRC Adam Jackson (ajax) did the work...
> >     - Jim
>
> Yep, that was me.  Feel free to drop me a line if you have any
> trouble making dlloader modules work.

Sweet, it works perfectly! I nuked the /usr/X11R16/lib directory first
and it seems to be fine.

Now I have a problem that I ran into year ago but since I have been using
the same Red Hat 7.3 box until now for debugging, I haven't seen it in
ages. Basically if I take a copy of the existin Fedora Core 2 install and
then do a 'make install' over the top, running 'startx' will start the
desktop but I just get a bunch of X terminals starting up and not the
usual KDE deskop that normally starts up. Switching back to the original
files (I saved them and symlink the directories) and everything is fine.

I forget what it is, but something about the install process blows away
something in the startup scripts. Does anyone know what it is and how to
make it do a make install that is friendly to the existing install so
'startx' will continue to function as normal?

It has been so long I forget what I did in the past to fix this.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~