problems with ati 9600 xinerama

Chuck Mead csm at MoonGroup.com
Sat Nov 27 14:00:56 PST 2004

Chuck Mead wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
>
>>> Section "Device"
>>>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>>        Driver      "radeon"
>>>        VendorName  "ATI"
>>>        BoardName   "ATI Radeon 9600"
>>>        Option      "AGPMode"        "4"
>>>        #Option     "AGPFastWrite"   "on"
>>>        Option      "BusType" "AGP"
>>>        BusID       "PCI:01:00:0"
>>>        #ChipId      0x5157
>>

>> If the driver has trouble detecting your monitors you may need to
>> force them on using the "monitorlayout" option. see the radeon man
>> page for more.
>

> Okay so I fugured one thing out... I can get it to mirror the desktop
> across two monitors if I set the monitor resolution on both monitors the
> same. *BUT* I cannot get it to do one big desktop extended across the
> two monitor no matter what I do. This is *NOT* how I remember xinerama
> working in the past. I have had it working on a different set of
> hardware before and I actually had one big desktop extended across the
> two screens and that is what I want... any ideas?

So... all I can do with this is get it to mirror the same desktop on two
different monitors. It does not do for me what I used to be able to do
with Xinerama. Sad really... I am attaching my xorg.conf. If anyone can
see what I don't have in it that I should to get one big desktop to span
two monitors please sing out. Once again this is with rhel4 beta 2 on an
x86_64. The lspci output concerning video is as follows:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon
9600]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]
(Secondary)

The xorg version is xorg-x11-6.8.1-12.

--
csm at moongroup.com, head geek