Bug in module loading system on x86-64?

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Mon Oct 4 08:08:56 PDT 2004

I forgot some of the details:
Here are some facts I remember:
- The code segment on AMD64 resides in low 32bit memory while huge data
  chunks are allocated in another address range using mmap().
- The memory model used in x86_64 code doesn't allow certain addresseing
  scemes like addressing code outside of the 32bit memory range.
- The loader loads the modules into data segments it allocates.

The data segment may be allocated anywhere in the 64bit memory space
so that references may fail.
We can circumvent this by using mmap() for allocation together with the
MAP_32BIT flag (see loader.c or elfloader.c).
For some reason mmap() seems to take this flag only as a hint and allocates
the memory whereever it can if there isn't any memory available in the
low 32bit address range.

Egbert.