The ati petition

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 4 19:19:11 PDT 2004

> Well, OK. Power management really is required, if only to have the damn fan
> not run 100% of the time on my laptop, but just managing to not crash & burn

This has little to do with X. Get a recent 2.6.x kernel, turn on ACPI and
cpufreq driver (the one that allows the processor to change frequency
dynamically) and search on Google for cpudynd . I had to modify its code a
little bit, but it works great and cpu fan is normally inaudible.

                         best

                           Vladimir Dergachev

PS I do agree with comment below about benefits of FOSS drivers.