What really changed with the new keyboard driver?

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Sep 9 06:54:43 PDT 2004

Kean Johnston wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Whats the real change with the new keyboard driver? I can
> only get the server to work if I enable the deprecated mode,
> and I would like to freshen my ports so that the new driver
> works. Whats changed and what do I need to look at? Any
> guidance greatly appreciated.

Great, what platform are you on?

The new driver hooks into the os specifc backend by calling
xf86OSKbdPreInit() from KbdPreInit() in input/kbd.c.  This function
fills in the function pointers in the KbdDevRec struct with os specfic
implementations.  The KbdDevRec struct is defined in
os-support/xf86OSKbd.h.  The xf86OSKbdPreInit() funtion should be
implemented in os-support/<os>/<os>_kbd.c, for example, for linux it's
in os-support/linux/lnx_kbd.c.  The linux implementation file provides a
good overview of what needs to be implemented.  Much of the code can
probably be lifted from the os-support/<os>/<os>_io.c file as it was
done with the linux driver.

Hope this helps,
Kristian