What really changed with the new keyboard driver?

Kean Johnston kean at armory.com
Thu Sep 9 07:30:46 PDT 2004

> Great, what platform are you on?
I'm always nervous to admit this until I know the crowd but ...
SCO OpenServer and UnixWare :/

> The new driver hooks into the os specifc backend by calling
> xf86OSKbdPreInit() from KbdPreInit() in input/kbd.c.  This function
> fills in the function pointers in the KbdDevRec struct with os specfic
> implementations.  The KbdDevRec struct is defined in
> os-support/xf86OSKbd.h.  The xf86OSKbdPreInit() funtion should be
> implemented in os-support/<os>/<os>_kbd.c, for example, for linux it's
> in os-support/linux/lnx_kbd.c.  The linux implementation file provides a
> good overview of what needs to be implemented.  Much of the code can
> probably be lifted from the os-support/<os>/<os>_io.c file as it was
> done with the linux driver.
>
> Hope this helps,
It most surely does, thank you. I will start work on it right away.
However, of equal interest to me is what is *better* about the new
driver? A quick grep for 'UseDeprecatedKeyboardDriver' in config/cf
seems to the untrained eye to yield quite a large number of YES's.
If, as the code says, the old driver will be completely deprecated
in the next release, are all of those platforms going to be
updated, or will that change effectively end support for those
platforms?

Thanks again,
Kean