AMD64 Xorg Help Needed

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:09:33 PDT 2004

sam williams wrote:
> I have been running xorg.conf on an Opteron machine running Fedora
> Core 2. I have a business need to get two graphics cards running. The
> first card is agp based and will run a 37" LCD monitor from Sharp. The
> second card is a 4 head card that is needed to run three displays.
>
> Currently, I'm having problems, I believe because the drivers that
> come with the Fedora Core 2 distribution are incomplete. Both cards
> are older Matrox. The only matrox driver I have is mga. I need
> "mgag200 pci" and "mgag400".  A decent "mga_hal" wouldn't hurt either
> since the 37" display is digital input only.
>
> The install is running Xorg 6.7.0. I have a couple of questions.
> First, is there another source for these drivers for an Opteron based
> machine. Second, if I downloaded and built 6.8.0, would I be able to
> build the missing drivers? If the answer to the previous question is
> yes, can I install over the top of the other xorg, or should I install
> in a seperate location. Finally, does anyone have an experience
> building 6.8.0 on Fedora Core 2?
>
> I would appreciate any and all answers to these questions. I should be
> able to get both graphic cards working, since I can only use the
> generic "mga" driver the X-server gets confused when I try to run both
> at the same time. In fact, when the pci card is installed I can no
> longer get a display on the 37" monitor. Instead it shows up on
> Monitor 0 from the quad card.
>
> Thanks for any and all suggestions and hints....

As mentioned by two people (myself included) in your bug report, there
is no such driver as "mgag200 pci" or "mgag400".  You read the manpage
and either read it too fast, or just did not understand what it is
saying very clearly.

Saying it one more time - there is NO other Matrox driver in existance
except for the "mga" driver.  There are 2 of them.  One included with
X.Org and XFree86, and one on the Matrox website also called "mga",
which comes with proprietary hallib module also, which supports some
more hardware than what the "mga" driver alone does.

The proprietary driver is not open source, and wont be included in
the OS for that reason.