Minimizing X.org 6.8.1 (not KDrive) to meet specs

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Fri Sep 24 14:34:58 PDT 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 12:59, Kean Johnston wrote:
> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > My tentative plan is to build it all against uclibc using -Os, which
> > should save some space.
> >
> > Suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Depending on what you need the server to do once its booted off
> the floppy, you can save yourself smome more space if you
> disable extensins you wont use, like lbx, render, xie xkb.
> I dont know if this is a system V tool or not, but also run
> mcs -d if you have the mcs command. It removes all .comment
> sections from your ELF file if ELF is your file format. If it
> is make sure you lose the .note section too. If you *really*
> want to save every byute you can, you could write a tool that
> uses bfd or libelf that also does common tail compression
> on the symbol table, or removes all unused local symbols.
> Its a lot of work but depending on your reasons for doing
> thjis in teh first place, may be justified.

If you know what drivers you want to support, look through your X log to see
what they load and delete everything else.  All told the framebuffer cores
take up ~1.7M on x86, but libfb.so (the most common one) only takes 250K.
Building a non-loadable server with just those modules would trim it even
more.

- ajax