Intel 855GM/Chrontel 7011A: S-Video on Xorg

Andrew Barr barr.156 at osu.edu
Sat Apr 9 09:23:21 PDT 2005

Hi.

I have an IBM ThinkPad R51 with an Intel 82855GM graphics chip. I am trying to
get the S-Video out to work under X.org 6.8.2 (Gentoo Linux). The encoder
chip (according to 'nvtv -P') is a Chrontel 7011A. I have tried two scenarios
to get the TV-out port working:

- the open-source i810 driver. The driver will not start at 800x600 (which is
evidently what the encoder runs at). It says "no mode of this name". It will
start at either 1024x768 or 640x480. So, although an image appears on the TV
screen, it is constantly rolling, presumably from an incorrect resolution. I
use:

	Option "MonitorLayout" "LFP,TV"

to activate the TV-out.

- the binary-only IEGD driver. Using:

	Option "PortDrivers" "ch7009 lvds"

the following appears in the Xorg log:

(II) LoadModule: "ch7009"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/ch7009.so
(EE) INTEL(0): ==> Failed to load ch7009 port driver. Check the hardware for
this port driver. ret = 7
(II) LoadModule: "lvds"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/modules/lvds.so
(II) INTEL(0): ==> lvds port driver started successfully.

This driver does not even activate the TVout at all.

Unfortunately, nvtv doesn't seem to support my encoder chip and development
seems to have ceased on this project. Please find my X.org configuration
files as well as resultant log files for both the i810 and IEGD drivers at
the following location:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/andrewbarr/i855tvout/

Thanks,
Andrew