xdamage

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Aug 2 09:02:30 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 15:12 +0200, Zobolyak Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using damage extension in my app which works well in high and true color
> modes. My problem is that I can't get notification when palette change
> occours in 8 bit mode.
> Does damage ext send some notification anyway? Is it responsible for such
> notification?

I hadn't considered this case as 8-bit paletted mode is almost unheard
of these days.  Palette changes aren't really damage to the screen; the
pixel values on the screen aren't affected.

> (Since my app watches for changes on the whole display, it is not enough to
> get ColormapNotify event for a specific window, so I can't use this method
> in that way)

But, some global notification of when the hardware palette is changed
might be a reasonable addition to either XFixes or Damage.

-keith