contributing new font package for xorg (fwd)

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 11 12:25:13 PDT 2005

On Iau, 2005-08-11 at 10:50 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> I also agree that there is a licensing mess when it comes to an app
> embedding GPL fonts in a document. But Xorg does not provide any apps
> that embed fonts. I don't think the simple existence of such apps and

You can start with "xwd". When you dump the window the font images are
embedded in the dump naturally enough. (Oh and if think that doesn't
count you need to replace your UScentric view of font law with a global
one)

> their licensing problems should be a reason for rejecting a font for
> inclusion in xorg. The decision to embed or not should be made by the
> user while they are using the embedding app; if they even choose to
> use an app like that.

You think an end user understands such things. Certainly with a vendor
hat on it would be the kind of thing to run through the legal department
and expect to patch out simply because its not fair on, nor possibly for
end users to grasp the legal mess that GPL fonts are and the problems
they could get into.