EXA for radeon experimental patch (3)

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Wed Aug 31 02:55:49 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 10:55 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> A new patch is at http://gate.crashing.org/~benh/radeon-exa-benh-3.diff
>
> I had composite acceleration working in r200 with CP (not with MMIO
> yet), though I did some cleanups and didn't re-test so it might be
> broken :)
>
> Some known issues appart from still possibly non working Xv, DGA, ...
>
>  - Color tiling must be disabled (well, that patch should disable it
> automatically when using EXA). I'll fix that later
>
>  - 3D not tested at all, page flipping won't work I suspect, maybe more
> things need fixing. I'll deal with that later too
>
>  - I have the server occasionally locking up or completely failing to
> render anything at startup when using the CP. Adding some ErrorF() here
> or there around RADEONWaitForIdleCP strangely makes it disappear. I'm
> not sure yet what's up. Usually, running it without CP and then with CP
> helps.
>
>  - Endian problems on big endian machines with composite. EXA needs some
> additional hooks so we can setup the swapper on PCI access properly when
> drawing to offscreen pixmaps of different bit depth. Eric and I are
> working on that.

I've put a new patch up at:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~anholt/radeon-exa-11.diff

It has a lot of cleanups, a manpage entry for AccelMethod, and DRI is
fixed (at least a bit).  The auto-disable of color tiling for EXA might
be removable now, though I haven't tested.  XV appears to be broken
(despite a few fixes) for both XAA and EXA, which is a priority to get
fixed.  I'm having issues with bad 2d rendering in applications as
simple as xterm (text not appearing completely using core fonts, even
with the composite hook not getting involved).  But the r200 composite
bits appear to be at least trivially working pretty well :)

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org