autorepeat crashes X

Paul R Streitman prs at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 16 11:35:36 PST 2005

For the last couple of weeks, I have been unable to use cvs xorg because it
crashes almost immediately.  I have isolated the problem somewhat and I
think that it is a problem in X itself.

The crash occurs when I hold down any key on the keyboard long enough for
it to repeat.  It does not matter what application I am in (even the window
manager background will fail), but the window manager does matter.  I see
the problem with Enlightenment (both the current 16.7.2 and the beta
16.8.04) and Afterstep (at least the current 2.00), but I do not see the
problem with KDE (3.3.2) or XFCE (4.2.0).  The crash goes away (as does
autorepeat, of course) if I issue 'xset r off' before I hold down any key.
It also goes away if I install an older level of xorg (such as the 6.8.2
build in Mandrake Cooker).

I get no indications of a problem in the system log, but in Xorg.0.log I
see a message that X terminated with a signal 11 (but no other information
about the problem).

My environment is current Mandrake Cooker with kernel 2.6.11-rc4 (older
kernels fail too, including 2.4.29).  Hardware is an IBM Thinkpad T41p
(using the regular xorg radeon driver, not the experimental r300 driver
yet), using either the built-in keyboard or a regular keyboard attached
via a port replicator.

                                                              Thanks,
                                                                Paul
z/OS core components development