Xorg and bounties

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Wed Feb 16 15:20:42 PST 2005

I was thinking about it,
and I think we should try out using bounties to promote certain features
in x.org which we are missing.
I saw that it worked on sevaral project and I think it's worth the try.

I think we should first make up a list of few attractive features,
those features would need to be ones which are easy to define and doesn't
require long term commitements/work, things like composite based
xinerama(yea I know it's my favorite;) imporvment to the config file
stracture, using hotplug/dbus for the input extention and other things of
that kind. We should put as accurate description are possible of what need
to be done to get the bounty and how we want it to be done.
Next stage would be to go to advertise it around, we could get donations
both from companies or to a paypal account so we could raise money from
users who are just missing some feature on X and like to contribute money
for it.

I'm not sure though on how it should be originized in a way that would
allow donation to be tax didactable.

Anyhow if anyone has suggestions for which bounties should we start with?
or some horrific reason to why we shouldn't try it at all?:)

Ely Levy
System group
Hebrew University
Jerusalem Israel