Solo Xgl..

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Feb 20 10:56:38 PST 2005

On Sunday 20 February 2005 13:20, Brian Paul wrote:
> Adam Jackson wrote:
> > I'm working on this, actually.  Right now I'm doing it as an EGL->GLX
> > translation layer so we can get glitz retargeted at the EGL API.  Turning
> > that into a dispatch layer wouldn't be too tough, particularly since a
> > good bit of the engine is already written in miniglx.  I've nearly got it
> > to the point of being able to run eglinfo, but it seems to have uncovered
> > a bug or two in the fbconfig handling.
>
> I actually started writing some EGL interface code a few months ago,
> but haven't touched it since.  Give me a day or two to clean it up.
> Then let's exchange code and see what we've got.

Sounds good.

> > My only complaint with EGL is that a lot of the 1.1 version is, on big
> > systems, a lot of work for not a lot of gain (OES_byte_coordinates for
> > example).
>
> Well, GL_OES_byte_coordinate is an (optional) extension.  I'm not sure
> we need to be concerned with it for now.

Optional if you're only doing 1.0.  From the webpage, describing the changes
between 1.0 and 1.1 (cleaned up slightly):

"New Core Additions and Profile Extensions: for the Common and Common-Lite
profiles add subsets of the OES_byte_coordinates, OES_fixed_point,
OES_single_precision and OES_matrix_get ES-specific extensions as core
additions; OES_read_format, OES_compressed_paletted_texture,
OES_point_size_array and OES_point_sprite as required profile extensions; and
OES_matrix_palette and OES_draw_texture as optional profile extensions."

Perversely, of these OES_draw_texture would be most useful for Xgl.

> Just to be clear, I was thinking of using the EGL API with full
> Mesa/OpenGL, not the ES subset.

Right, same here.  I'm more concerned about the API than the embedded feature
set; but it would be nice to have GLES apps Just Work against Mesa.

- ajax