gatos & xorg

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 3 16:44:55 PST 2005

>> almost all ati chips.  proper tv-out support would require
>> programming the various tv-regs directly.
>>
>> Alex
>>
> In other words, I shouldn't hold my breath. The current 6.8.1
> apparently takes a look for a 2nd screen, but doesn't find an
> attached monitor so it politely goes away during the startx.

Hi Gene, have you tried X.org CVS HEAD ?

I had a problem getting my notebook to find the second screen as well,
which turned out to be due to a bug in the "magic" code that looked at
monitor parameters. I fixed it a while ago.. (2004-10-17)

If anyone is curious the problem was that the code assumed that
certain conditions implied the that CRTC units were switched and checked
for that by looking for primary CRTC constant in some BIOS table. On my
Dell the constant was set for both primary and secondary, go figure.

The fix was in making sure the constant is set for the secondary but not
for primary - a tautology if BIOS writers did not make bugs.

                       best

                          Vladimir Dergachev