gatos & xorg

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 07:52:09 PST 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 05:51:11 -0500, Gene Heskett
<gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 00:56, Adam Jackson wrote:
> >On Tuesday 04 January 2005 00:26, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> LIBGL_DEBUG=1 gxlinfo reports:
> >> [root at coyote thunderbird]# LIBGL_DEBUG=1 glxinfo
> >> name of display: :0.0
> >> libGL error: XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable returned false
> >> display: :0  screen: 0
> >> direct rendering: No
> >
> >This means the server failed to enable direct rendering.  The full
> > log would be helpful.
> >
> >- ajax
>
> Attached.  I'm up, can't sleep when coughing ones head off.  And
> pursuant to a message quite a ways down that log, I'm now rebuilding
> the kernel with support for the ATI as well as the NForce2 in the
> make xconfig char->agp section. The question is, do I choose for the
> motherboard agp, or the cards agp?  The make xconfig help is less
> than helpfull in defning that.  Anyway, making both as modules just
> for giggles, as I noted also that the nvidia wasn't loaded according
> to an lsmod.
> So once rebooted (amanda is running right now) I should have access to
> this list of modules:
>
> make modules_install
>   INSTALL drivers/acpi/video.ko
>   INSTALL drivers/char/agp/agpgart.ko
>   INSTALL drivers/char/agp/ati-agp.ko <-this ones new
>   INSTALL drivers/char/agp/nvidia-agp.ko
>   INSTALL drivers/char/drm/radeon.ko
>   INSTALL drivers/video/aty/radeonfb.ko
>
> The last one, nor the nvidia-agp.ko, have neither one been loaded
> right now.
>
> Lets just say that its a bit confusing when the motherboard has all
> this stuff flying about cause its an NForce2 chipset, aka nvidia, and
> the card is from the even darker side, an imitation ATI. X-Tasy brand
> or some such knockoff.  So I'm gonna save this in drafts, and see
> what I get for a reboot once amanda is done.  Which shouldn't be much
> longer...
>
> Ok, couple of hours later & one reboot.
>
> The Xorg.0.log says I should be loading the agpgart module first, so I
> loaded agpgart, then removed the radeon, and restarted X.  No diff,
> and both modules are reporting 0 users.  Do I need to add something
> to modprobe.conf?  I'm gonna unload them both, then reload agpgart
> and restart X one more time.
>
> Didn't help, so I've turn on the debugging of the ati driver and
> rebulding it again.  Later, gotta get some zzz's.

for 2.6 kernels you need 3 things for agp and drm:

1. motherboard agp chipset driver.  this is a driver for the agp
functionality on your motherboard, if your motherboard is nvidia, use
the nvidia-agp module, if it's via, use via-agp, etc.

2. agpgart

3. radeon drm

Both 1 and 2 need to be loaded before 3.

check your kernel log or dmesg to make sure the agp modules and drm
load properly.  hope that helps.

Alex