gatos & xorg

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 4 02:51:11 PST 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 00:56, Adam Jackson wrote:
>On Tuesday 04 January 2005 00:26, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> LIBGL_DEBUG=1 gxlinfo reports:
>> [root at coyote thunderbird]# LIBGL_DEBUG=1 glxinfo
>> name of display: :0.0
>> libGL error: XF86DRIQueryDirectRenderingCapable returned false
>> display: :0  screen: 0
>> direct rendering: No
>
>This means the server failed to enable direct rendering.  The full
> log would be helpful.
>
>- ajax

Attached.  I'm up, can't sleep when coughing ones head off.  And
pursuant to a message quite a ways down that log, I'm now rebuilding
the kernel with support for the ATI as well as the NForce2 in the
make xconfig char->agp section. The question is, do I choose for the
motherboard agp, or the cards agp?  The make xconfig help is less
than helpfull in defning that.  Anyway, making both as modules just
for giggles, as I noted also that the nvidia wasn't loaded according
to an lsmod.
So once rebooted (amanda is running right now) I should have access to
this list of modules:

make modules_install
  INSTALL drivers/acpi/video.ko
  INSTALL drivers/char/agp/agpgart.ko
  INSTALL drivers/char/agp/ati-agp.ko <-this ones new
  INSTALL drivers/char/agp/nvidia-agp.ko
  INSTALL drivers/char/drm/radeon.ko
  INSTALL drivers/video/aty/radeonfb.ko

The last one, nor the nvidia-agp.ko, have neither one been loaded
right now.

Lets just say that its a bit confusing when the motherboard has all
this stuff flying about cause its an NForce2 chipset, aka nvidia, and
the card is from the even darker side, an imitation ATI. X-Tasy brand
or some such knockoff.  So I'm gonna save this in drafts, and see
what I get for a reboot once amanda is done.  Which shouldn't be much
longer...

Ok, couple of hours later & one reboot.

The Xorg.0.log says I should be loading the agpgart module first, so I
loaded agpgart, then removed the radeon, and restarted X.  No diff,
and both modules are reporting 0 users.  Do I need to add something
to modprobe.conf?  I'm gonna unload them both, then reload agpgart
and restart X one more time.

Didn't help, so I've turn on the debugging of the ati driver and
rebulding it again.  Later, gotta get some zzz's.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)