Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jan 24 10:36:13 PST 2005

Around 18 o'clock on Jan 24, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Yes, I fully argee with you here. That would be even better. However since
> the monolithic tree is approaching it's end of life it may not be
> worthwhile obtaining consensus on these changes - unless each distro
> maintainer would delete the stuff for his product.

This isn't an issue related to the integrate nature of the tree;
individual modules could still have distribution-specific customizations
included in their build procedures.

So, I think we've actually made some permanent progress here -- the X.org
releases should refrain from making distribution-specific choices about how
they are built.  How we get from our current situation to that place is an
important problem, but now that we agree on the end point, we should be
able to move in that direction independent of where that development is
done.

Merge this with the notion that X.org should build precisely that for
which it is the canonical upstream source and we have a policy that
answers all of the questions raised by todays conflict:

	1)	Xterm should not be built by default on any platform
	2)	Xrx should be built by default on every platform

-keith