tv-out and your superpatch

Peter Zijlstra a.p.zijlstra at chello.nl
Fri Jul 29 04:32:49 PDT 2005

Hi Alex,

I tried your superpatch of 27 juli on a cvs head of yesterday on my
multimedia box to be; a dell gx110 with a 550 MHz P3 and a PCI Radeon
7500 AIW (RV200 QW).

I added:

 Option "TVFormat" "1" # PAL
 Option "NoBIOS" "true"

to my device section (without nobios X fails to startup; first it breaks
the console, when I ssh in X is spinning at 99%, when I then type reboot
it locks up hard.)

With this setup:
 - when booted with s-video cable attached to the TV:
   X comes up in 640x480 and when I start a fullscreen mplayer the XV
output is shown on the TV in a 2,5x2 tiled fashion with all colors
weird.

 - when booted without the s-video attached but connected after bootup:
   X comes up in 1024x768 (the set resolution in xorg.conf) and no TV
output what so ever; XV output is visible on the monitor.

Apparently it relies on the BIOS to init the TV encoder or some such
thing.

In both cases (and with an unpatched HEAD install) there are drawing
errors. Most notably the mouse pointer is one big scrambled block;
however a lot of Xshape windows also have render issues (moving a window
over them does occasionally fix it). Just for reference 6.8.2 does work.

On second thought; it might be that everything that uses an alpha
channel is screwed.

Also I tried to make some screenshots; both with imagemagick import and
with the GNOME screenshot applet; both give a full white png.

*SIGHT*

Ok, so lets start over; I just power cycled the thing while having lunch
and now it does switch to the mode specified in the config file when
booted with the S-Video cable connected (I plugged it into a bttv card
of another machine so I now could test NTSC as well as PAL). Also the
NoBIOS option is no longer required.

Anyway; all supported video modes (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768) with
either TVFormat 0 or 1 give an output on the TV that is majorly
scrambled. If I move the mouse something does move. When I play a movie
the colors are match the general hue of the movie when using PAL.

So now I does attempt to show the whole X desktop, not only the XV
output anymore but still no luck.

Also the render issue with (presumably the alpha pixmaps) is still
there.

Anything else I can send you? logs, config file (althoug it is not very
interresting)?

attached is a log of the last run.

--
Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra at chello.nl>