XOrg freeze that affects a lot of people

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:49:08 PST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:19:04 +0000, Charles Goodwin <charlie at vexi.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 08:41 -0800, Andy Ritger wrote:
> > Hi Charlie, since this appears to be a driver issue rather than
> > a core Xorg issue, I would recommend forwarding your bug report
> > to linux-bugs at nvidia.com.  Please be sure to include an
> > nvidia-bug-report.log (generated with `nvidia-bug-report.sh`).
>
> I fully acknowledge (and did so in the original email) that this is a
> driver issue.
>
> However, the point was that the driver problem (which afflicts both
> nvidia and ati driver users) alike causes XOrg to hang and my hope was
> that somehow, somewhere, far far away there might be somebody with the
> know how to make XOrg handle driver stumbling blocks a bit more
> gracefully i.e. don't hang but somehow either quit gracefully or abort
> the operation that caused the driver to complain.
>
> I'm in no way trying to say this is an XOrg problem, but that doesn't
> mean XOrg couldn't handle it better.
>
> - Charlie

well, if the GPU hangs, the GPU hangs.  there's not much you can do at
that point.  Xorg has no knowledge of the driver GPU internals; that's
why you have drivers.  if you have remote access into the box, you
could potentially login in and kill the server depending on what state
it's in or at least gracefully shutdown the computer.  ssh is your
friend.

Alex