Xegl lives!

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue May 24 10:39:42 PDT 2005

On 5/24/05, Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at sun.com> wrote:
> I mainly keep quiet on Xgl, but could part of the problem in getting
> developers be that your plans there seem so Linux-centric that the
> developers who contribute to Xorg because it runs on so many other
> OS'es are uninterested in your work and don't want to contribute to
> reducing the cross-platform portability of X?

Xgl needs a stand-alone OpenGL implementation with the EGL extensions.
Nothing in OpenGL or EGL is OS specific. It is up to each platform to
provide this stack.

You are seeing all the discussion about bringing up the Linux version
of the OpenGL/EGL stack. Other platforms are free to take code from
the Linux stack or to do their own implementation. ATI/Nvidia are
likely to provide completely proprietary implementations of OpenGL/EGL
stacks.

Sun is free to use the open source DRI/Mesa version, write their own,
cut a deal with NVidia/ATI or buy one. Xgl is OS agnostic, it is the
OpenGL/EGL stack that is OS specific.

Likewise Xgl needs a mouse and keyboard driver. You may be seeing
messages about the Linux version of these. The input subsystem is OS
agnostic, only the drivers are specific to the OS.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com