Xegl lives!

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue May 24 13:42:56 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 13:20 -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Then perhaps it's just a perception problem - at the Xorg conference and
> in the mailing lists, so many of the discussions on this seem to center
> around kernel drivers and such that it really seems to be a Linux-only
> project.   I know I've had little interest in looking into it more because
> of that impression (not that I have spare time to contribute cycles to it
> as well as everything else I'm already doing) - if I've misunderstood this,
> then I'm sorry.

As I said, the kernel drivers on Linux has sucked.  So there is no
wonder they have been a major topic of pain and discussion.  These have
to get fixed independent of how the DDX on top works (whether XAA, or
KAA, or GL based).

> (And yes, I'm biased by getting paid to maintain an X server for a platform
>   which has far more cards with usable Xorg DDX'es than usable OpenGL drivers
>   at any level.   We're working to fix that as we can, but I can't see any
>   way we'll have enough coverage to be moving from a traditional DDX-based
>   X server to a OpenGL/EGL based X server anytime soon, so will likely
>   continue to devote most of the resources we have available for open source
>   X work to working on the existing Xorg code base.)

The hope out of all of this is that we end up with much *less* X driver
work to do, by being able to use GL drivers for X, rather than
duplicating a significant part of this functionality in the X drivers.
Doing 2 drivers where one will do would be a major win...
			- Jim