Getting to a GL based X server

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:58:24 PDT 2005

On 5/26/05, Ian Romanick <idr at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Keep in mind also that those implementations run on 160x160 displays.  I
> can live without hardware accleration at that resolution.  I can't at
> live without it at even 1024x768.

The OpenGL driver concept is focused on drivers moving forwards. I
would hope that nobody doing a design today would implement a high
resolution display and not accompany it with corresponding
acceleration hardware.

I have several old video cards around here that do 1024x768 without
any acceleration hardware. I know that I can run a software OpenGL on
then and they will have poor performance. I can also just keep running
the existing Xserver on them which works just fine.

I don't expect old video hardware to run an animated, composited
display. Just like I don't expect an orginal 8086 based IBM PC to run
Windows XP.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com