EXA

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Tue Oct 11 21:32:02 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 01:54 +0200, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

> EXA is getting close to the point where it is entirely useless on
> hardware that doesn't accelerate render/composite.
>
> On my (admittedly slow, 400Mhz) testbox, I can actually watch KDE paint
> its default blue background.
>
> Adding some logging into the EXA hooks reveals that the driver receives
> millions (yes, millions) of calls of copy commands with a width and
> height of 1. Yes, 1. It fills the screen with 1x1 copy commands.

Sounds like KDE is using a 1x1 pixmap for the window background, rather
than setting a solid color.  Lame.  We'll just need to do something
similar to what exaComposite does for 1x1 repeating pictures -- read out
the one pixel and solid-fill it over the whole thing.

(The change that caused this problem was tested on a sis 305)

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org