EXA

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Oct 11 23:03:13 PDT 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:32:02 -0700 Eric Anholt <eta at lclark.edu> babbled:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 01:54 +0200, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
> >

> > EXA is getting close to the point where it is entirely useless on
> > hardware that doesn't accelerate render/composite.
> >
> > On my (admittedly slow, 400Mhz) testbox, I can actually watch KDE paint
> > its default blue background.
> >
> > Adding some logging into the EXA hooks reveals that the driver receives
> > millions (yes, millions) of calls of copy commands with a width and
> > height of 1. Yes, 1. It fills the screen with 1x1 copy commands.
>
> Sounds like KDE is using a 1x1 pixmap for the window background, rather
> than setting a solid color.  Lame.  We'll just need to do something
> similar to what exaComposite does for 1x1 repeating pictures -- read out
> the one pixel and solid-fill it over the whole thing.
>
> (The change that caused this problem was tested on a sis 305)

another suggestion - for pixmaps smaller than lets say 32x32 that will need
tiling (or some arbitary amount) pre-expand to tmp space then tile that? (if
its viable given transforms etc.) that should solve this for the more general
case and improve the 1x1 case, but you are right- the 1x1 can be very easily
special-cased for maximum speed :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多                              raster at deephackmode.org
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)