Xorg 7.0-rc1 and EXA (radeon 9200)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Oct 22 01:40:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 12:42 +0000, morgoth6 at box43.pl wrote:
> Hell[o]
>
> > I get problems a lot often than that. It is at least one or two each
> > minute (provided I do something that causes large draw operations).
> > Restarting xcompmgr doesn't have much effect. If anything, it makes
> > things worse for a while.
>
> I have a performance problem here too. Using Benh fix I was able to run RC1 with DRI enabled, but EXA is still dead slow. Mowing and resizing any window takes ages. I use torsmo (http://freshmeat.net/projects/torsmo/) program on my desktop and when it refresh it's contents the  display and mouse pointer lockups for a second or two. There is realy hard to move any window when I have torsmo running. Killing it makes things a bit better but still not a usable state.
>
> I use Radeon 9000 card 128/128. For now I switch back to XAA. I hope someone here help us to solve this problem.

Have you tried the patch that Thomas Winischhofer commited yesterday ?

Let me know if it makes any difference. Also, do you have DRI & AGP
working ?

That patch is:

Log message:
    EXA: The "optimization" for using a fill operation instead of 1x1 copies
    checked the destination drawable's dimensions (!) instead of the tile's.
    Really....

Modified files:
      xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/exa/:
        exa.c

  Revision      Changes    Path
  1.29          +3 -3      xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/exa/exa.c
  http://cvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/exa/exa.c