[SCM TRANSITION] Re: Proposal: move Randr protocol and library to git

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 03:39:22 PDT 2006

>  >
>  > I'm with Lars, also we'll just end up getting a lot of merge
>  > collisions on the changelog, which really is no fun at all, and
>  > probably out-of-order entries.. the git logs from the master tree
>  > should be more than enough information....
>
> This is true. If we are able to autogenerate them on a per module basis
> so that we can include a changelog in the tarballs.
> Or maybe we can autogenerate them during the commit process so these files
> actually live in the SCM?

It's a distributed SCM there isn't really a place to put them, how do
you deal with people doing branches and merging them, trying to force
the ideas from a centralised SCM onto a distributed SCM is usually a
bad idea, you still end up colliding the Changelog, to be honest the
old Xfree86 changelog was fairly useless due to the mass commits, and
update style messages, maybe the tar ball creation process could
contain a list of commits since the last release tag.

Dave.