R7.1 roadmap, and additional goals

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Fri Apr 21 07:52:37 PDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:53:36AM -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Ok, so the next question is...  Can someone create a ChangesForX11R72 so we
> can starting making a roadmap?

You can, if you want ...

> And do we want to have a working group (and its own mailing list) for
> the various
> issues regarding supporting encoder, transmitter, etc. modularity?  I'd
> like to make
> this a closed list because there are a lot of people with strong and/or
> conflicting
> opinions... that might not have any compunctions about inducing
> paralysis into the
> project... to be quite blunt.

This is a horrendously bad idea.  If we have problems, then we have
problems.  Hiding them is not (repeat: not) a winning idea.  It only
discourages from getting fixed.

Also, if we're incapable of dealing with robust technical discussion,
then we have bigger problems to deal with.

And, lastly, I don't think new lists are, in general, a good idea: look
at how populated xorg-arch and xevie are, to pick two random examples.
They're both more or less dead, despite the subject group being
important.

> I'd prefer that the group be limited to those that want to see a timely
> result only,
> rather than being locked in discussion stalemate...

You can always just ignore the pointless trolls and get on with it ...

> I'm ambivalent about whether the list should be viewable by anyone...
> but definitely
> want members-only posting.
>
> Suggestions?

No.