Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 14:54:14 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 12:31 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to announce
> the immediate availability of free software drivers for the Intel® 965
> Express Chipset family graphics controller. These drivers include support
> for 2D and 3D graphics features for the newest generation Intel graphics
> architecture. The project Web site is http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org.

I'd like to know how underutilized the 855GM chips that shipped with
Centrino laptops are. Seems like lots of cool new stuff (modesetting
especially) is 'i915 and later' only, and I was wondering if that's
hardware capability or you'll be getting to those of us on (not-so-much)
older hardware later.

I would love to see the TV out on my 855GM Thinkpad work properly. Or to
not need 'i810switch' to power a projector (and have text crawl because
of the low refresh rate).

Thanks,
Andrew