Announcing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Aug 9 16:01:21 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 17:54 -0400, Andrew Barr wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 12:31 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> > The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to announce
> > the immediate availability of free software drivers for the Intel® 965
> > Express Chipset family graphics controller. These drivers include support
> > for 2D and 3D graphics features for the newest generation Intel graphics
> > architecture. The project Web site is http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org.
>
> I'd like to know how underutilized the 855GM chips that shipped with
> Centrino laptops are. Seems like lots of cool new stuff (modesetting
> especially) is 'i915 and later' only, and I was wondering if that's
> hardware capability or you'll be getting to those of us on (not-so-much)
> older hardware later.
>
> I would love to see the TV out on my 855GM Thinkpad work properly. Or to
> not need 'i810switch' to power a projector (and have text crawl because
> of the low refresh rate).

The modesetting branch, which affects i830 and up, should do fine for
your hot-switching of clone mode to a VGA output.  However, it doesn't
do TV out yet because we haven't written the driver for it.  I can tell
you that I probably won't be able to get to DVO TV out within the next
couple of months at least, so this would be a great place for someone
else to plug in.  The specs should be available online for chrontels,
which are the only DVO TV-out chipsets I've encountered (had in my
hands, at least) so far.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com