HDTV, multimedia and free software drivers for Intel i965 chipset
a.venturi at cineca.it
Thu Aug 10 06:55:07 PDT 2006
i'm very happy to hear that intel is going on a full disclosure path WRT
i can see lot of good news about 2D and 3D acceleration but my main
focus is about multimedia and television (MPEG2 MPEG4 H264..)
decoding there streams is a fairly huge task, expecially with high
definition programs springing a lot lately using high complexity codec
my question: is MPEG acceleration (already) supported in the intel free
and open drivers?
if i check, for example, this whitepaper for the new gma3000 gpu:
i can see something interesting on the G965 chipset:
- MPEG2 decode: iDCT + Hardware motion compensation (and color
conversion, i suppose)
- VC1 Decode: Hardware acceleration (it could mean anything!!)
is VC1 an open standard? i can see a task sponsored by google about it:
so, i kindly ask:
- mpeg2 acceleration supported, now in the FLOSS driver or when?
- vc1: what does it mean acceleration?
- what about h264.. could the VC1 acceleration help the H264 decoding too?
- technical document / datasheet about it, will they be available later
for everyone to read and help?
thank you for your attention
More information about the xorg