Will new Intel OSS drivers enable internal/external display switching?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Aug 11 10:45:51 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 10:43 -0400, Christian Convey wrote:

> I've never had any luck in getting the laptop (under Linux, that is) to
> obey me when I hit fn+F4, which is supposed to hot-switch between the
> laptop's built-in display and an external monitor.
>
> Does anyone know if Intel's newly announced OSS driver:
>     http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=528&num=1
> is supposed to address this issue?

Nope, this release is focused on adding support for the latest chipset
(the 965). We're busy working on a complete replacement for the mode
setting code which will support all kinds of monitor and mode switching
on-the-fly.

I was hoping to have something working by now, but I've been busy with
this release.

You can, if you like, give the 'modesetting' branch a try; it should at
least automatically enable the external monitor when you plug it in and
run 'xrandr -s 0'. Running that again after unplugging should disable
the monitor.

keith.packard at intel.com