How does one check whether XRENDER is accelerated?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Feb 8 17:38:41 PST 2006

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 03:23:31 +0300 Samium Gromoff <_deepfire at mail.ru> babbled:

> Good day, list.
>
> Thing is, i`ve got a blazing-fast radeon X800 and yet, random
> XRenderComposite`s with PictOpSrc in 640x480x32 are not so blazing fast.
> (something around 2000 fps, with XFlushes). The xserver is XOrg7 and the
> drivers are somewhere around the latest ati`s fglrx ones.
>
> This leads me to a natural question whether it is my mistake somewhere
> down the road, or i simply cannot get more out of XRENDER on my card.
>
> At which point, i thought i`d want a formal method of checking the
> potential of XRENDER in a particular xserver+drivers+hardware
> configuration.
>
> So, is there a standard benchmark for XRENDER? Is there a way to figure
> out in a reliable manner whether XRENDER is accelerated at all?
>
> I`ve heard somewhere that nvidia does have XRENDER acceleration in its
> proprietary drivers, but i`m not so sure if ati does.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information!

i can't say for others - but i have written 2 tools that basically give u a
reasonable idea of overall render accel

http://www.rasterman.com/files/render_bench.tar.gz

is an old benchmarker that pits xrender against software equivalent rendering.
it gives one view of gneral render performance as opposed to "diy" in software
client-side.

another (more recent and more expansive) is evas - it has full xrender suport
as well as software rendering, opengl, directfb, etc. etc.

you basically can just tun the test program (that sits and benchmrks each
engine) and see the benchmark values u get at the end.

http://enlightenment.freedesktop.org/fetch.php?file=evas-0.9.9.023.tar.gz

- just bild, install then run the evas_*_test programs and they will spew out a
benchmark to stdout. the higher the value - the faster the engine's rendering.