Strange speed differences on composite

Tomasz Torcz zdzichu at irc.pl
Wed Feb 15 09:40:44 PST 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 12:07:59PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Saturday 11 February 2006 14:13, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > >
> > > If you ever have to read data from the frame buffer, that's *slow* -
> > > you lose far more than you gain from any hardware acceleration you
> > > might be getting.
> >
> >   But why read data? Shouldn't it be composed by graphic card in VRAM?
> > Isn't that what acceleration is for?
>
> "Acceleration" isn't an all-or-nothing thing.  Almost all the drivers we have
> are accelerated to one degree or another.  The issue is that very few of them
> accelerate the image composition operations that Render exposes.
>
> When you do an Over blend in Render, you're computing values for each pixel:

 [ .. cut .. ]

 Thanks for your profound explanation!

> Phrased another way, your assertion above:

> is that the mga driver is fully hardware accelerated.  It's not, it doesn't
> accelerate Render in hardware.

  Now, this is something that surprised me. I lived under impression
that mga actually accelerates everything. Few years back I bought this
costly (ati and nvidia cards were 2-3 times cheaper) card _because_ it
had open source driver including 3D part. And it was sufficient to play
quake3. Somehow I thought 3d == full acceleration. I was wrong all those
years :(
  Apparently, now I have to wait until Xgl comes to more compilable
shape. Or until it will be shipped by my distro (Slackware).

--
Tomasz Torcz               RIP is irrevelant. Spoofing is futile.
zdzichu at irc.-nie.spam-.pl     Your routes will be aggreggated. -- Alex Yuriev