Strange speed differences on composite

Zack Rusin zrusin at trolltech.com
Wed Feb 15 10:05:14 PST 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 02:07, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> algorithms. tehcnically speakin xrender COULD get smart and learn to
> cache parts of drawables in system ram and use dirty masks (or tiles)
> to know when they invalidate to speed this up and avoid the read from
> video ram wherever possible - but this is going to be very involved
> code.

This is not something XRender could or more importantly should do. That
is something that acceleration architecture and its memory management
code should be doing.
Interestingly enough this is something Exa is already doing (even though
the migration semantics are a little random, hopefully Eric will fix
that pretty soon).

Zack

--
With reasonable men I will reason; with humane men I will plead; but to
tyrants I will give no quarter. -- William Lloyd Garrison