AIGLX on Radeon Mobility

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Feb 23 07:57:49 PST 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 06:08, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a Thinkpad T40p with a Radeon chip:
>
> VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL
> 9000] (rev 02)
>
> If I use Xglx and compiz the effects are pretty smooth, desktop spinning
> is jerky if the system is busy but the shadows, fades and so on are
> great.
>
> However, if I try AIGLX and CVS HEAD Metacity, it is noticably slower:
> dragging windows is lagging by a good quarter of a second.
>
> Is there anyway to determine the cause of this.  I've a feeling its
> actually still using software indirect rendering, is there any way to
> verify the hardware is being used?

Not possible; the aiglx branch in its current form will never dispatch into
libGLcore.

I suspect if you were to run sysprof or similar you'd find all your time being
spent in pushing texture images to the card.  Right now the aiglx branch is
pretty much limited to the bus write bandwidth, which is lame.  What we
really need is the ability to texture directly from offscreen-but-on-card
pixmaps, rather than what we do right now which is render them in host memory
and then blast across.

I'll try to hack up something to do that in the next few days if I get a spare
moment.

- ajax