Xorg problem: What happened to XRaiseWindow?

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Fri Jan 20 05:57:30 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 13:24 +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 07:14 -0500, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 07:08 -0500, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When calling XRaiseWindow under Fedora, it does come to foreground when
> > > covered by another window, hmmm?
> >
> > I meant to say: Does "NOT" come to the foreground.
> >

> Isn't the raising of windows a task of the window manager, and not of
> the program ?
Yes, but the way you tell the window manager that you would like to
raise the window is via XRaiseWindow, right?

Now, notice if one were to access the covered window via the taskbar of
KDE for example it does come to the foreground.

So, my question is have the window managers decided to not honor the
standard XRaiseWindow request?

> In FC5 it seems the window manager does not "raise" windows over windows
> that have the focus.
Same happens in RedHat Enterprise Linux 4

What is going on?