Xorg problem: What happened to XRaiseWindow?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Jan 20 07:12:50 PST 2006

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:57:30 -0500 "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <ernesto at ornl.gov>
babbled:

> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 13:24 +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:

> > > I meant to say: Does "NOT" come to the foreground.
> > >

> > Isn't the raising of windows a task of the window manager, and not of
> > the program ?
> Yes, but the way you tell the window manager that you would like to
> raise the window is via XRaiseWindow, right?
>
> Now, notice if one were to access the covered window via the taskbar of
> KDE for example it does come to the foreground.
>
> So, my question is have the window managers decided to not honor the
> standard XRaiseWindow request?

no. i noticed this with xnest in the xorg tree - its raise was broken long ago
- i made the mistake of using xnest from xorg's tre efor a while and was
chasing an non-exustant bug in my wm - it was doing everything right... xnest
wasn't. reverting back to xfree's xnest made it all work again (and it worked
in the full xserver too - just not xnest), so... i would maybe surmise this
same bug has reared its ugly head again. window managers dont just suddelty
stop honoring raise requests :) not unless its a wm bug - and even then - i
found it an x bug at the time.