Xorg problem: What happened to XRaiseWindow?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jan 20 08:26:47 PST 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 14:57, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 13:24 +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:

> > > I meant to say: Does "NOT" come to the foreground.
> >
> > Isn't the raising of windows a task of the window manager, and not of
> > the program ?
>
> Yes, but the way you tell the window manager that you would like to
> raise the window is via XRaiseWindow, right?
>
> Now, notice if one were to access the covered window via the taskbar of
> KDE for example it does come to the foreground.
>
> So, my question is have the window managers decided to not honor the
> standard XRaiseWindow request?
>
> > In FC5 it seems the window manager does not "raise" windows over windows
> > that have the focus.
>
> Same happens in RedHat Enterprise Linux 4
>
> What is going on?

 It's called "focus stealing prevention", see e.g.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2003-May/msg00013.html . A short
description is that only the user (i.e. taskbar etc.) and the most recently
activated application are allowed to raise or focus windows, requests from
inactive applications are not honoured. As already said above, applications
are usually not supposed to do that anyway.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org