debugging XKB?

Rune Petersen rune at megahurts.dk
Wed Jun 7 15:55:07 PDT 2006

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 10:47:53PM +0200, Rune Petersen wrote:
>> I can seam to figure out out why it doesn't work since I compiled the
>> Xorg again.
>>
>> I get the warning:
>> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
>>
>> Then later the error:
>> (EE) Error loading keymap /xorg7/share/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm
>>
>> I know that one reason it fails is that in XkbDDXLoadKeymapByNames():
>> 	keybd->key is NULL
>> 	names->keycodes is NULL
>> 	names->types is NULL
>> 	names->compat is NULL
>> 	names->symbols is NULL
>> 	names->geometry is NULL
>> 	names->keymap is NULL
>>
>> I don't know why these are NULL.
>> Is there any easy way to debug this or do I have to crawl through it all?
>
> The short answer is 'no'.  Your server's probably looking in
> /xorg7/share/X11/xkb for data files, so if they're not installed there,
> symlink that to either /usr/share/X11/xkb (Fedora/RHEL/SUSE) or
> /etc/X11/xkb (Debian, Ubuntu).
>
> The functions you want to hook into are mostly in xkbInit.c,
> particularly XkbInitKeyboardDeviceStruct, though.

turned out it was a build problem, did a clean rebuild and i ran into
another problem:

this looks fine
     xkb_keycodes             { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)" };
     xkb_types                { include "complete" };
     xkb_compatibility        { include "complete" };
     xkb_symbols              { include "pc/pc(pc105)+pc/dk" };
     xkb_geometry             { include "pc(pc105)" };

But when I press a key (with the exception of the number-pad (Num lock))
I get this message and nothing else:
RADEONHandleMessage(0, "KeyEventMessage", "-VMode", retmsg)

Any chance you know whats causing it?

Rune Petersen