debugging XKB?

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sun Jun 4 20:40:15 PDT 2006

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 10:47:53PM +0200, Rune Petersen wrote:
> I can seam to figure out out why it doesn't work since I compiled the
> Xorg again.
>
> I get the warning:
> (WW) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
>
> Then later the error:
> (EE) Error loading keymap /xorg7/share/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm
>
> I know that one reason it fails is that in XkbDDXLoadKeymapByNames():
> 	keybd->key is NULL
> 	names->keycodes is NULL
> 	names->types is NULL
> 	names->compat is NULL
> 	names->symbols is NULL
> 	names->geometry is NULL
> 	names->keymap is NULL
>
> I don't know why these are NULL.
> Is there any easy way to debug this or do I have to crawl through it all?

The short answer is 'no'.  Your server's probably looking in
/xorg7/share/X11/xkb for data files, so if they're not installed there,
symlink that to either /usr/share/X11/xkb (Fedora/RHEL/SUSE) or
/etc/X11/xkb (Debian, Ubuntu).

The functions you want to hook into are mostly in xkbInit.c,
particularly XkbInitKeyboardDeviceStruct, though.

Cheers,
Daniel