Moving xlibs modules to xorg

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Mar 6 12:17:03 PST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:46:33AM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Jamey Sharp wrote:
> >As far as I can tell, the entire community of people actively developing
> >Xlib was, in fact, consulted before it was migrated to GIT -- and I said
> >"yes". :-)
>
> Claiming you are the only one ignores the entire rest of
> the ChangeLog, which only goes back as far as last May, yet has
> plenty of commits from the non-you community:

Fair enough: my sincere apologies for not crediting all the work that
was done to modularize the build system, which has been quite valuable.

However, that work is done now, surely? For the purposes of deciding how
to manage source code going forward, it seems to me that completed work
should be irrelevant. If you ignore build system efforts, I don't see
any changes since Daniel Stone committed a one-line bugfix to imDeflc.c
last July. Aside from the work that I'm doing, I'm not aware of any
ongoing or upcoming Xlib development projects -- and if anyone is
planning one, I'd like to encourage them to rethink that plan. Xlib
should be allowed to die once we have a complete transition path to
something better.

So although my joke was probably ill-advised and didn't acknowledge a
lot of hard work that's been done in the recent past, I haven't seen any
evidence that I was outright wrong.

> Changelog in the Xlib modular CVS shows you only made two changes in
> February.

Of course, I made 18 commits in February, but 16 of them were in GIT. If
you want to count commits, in a two week period I made as many commits
as you and Kevin (the top two committers) together made since last May.
You're also ignoring all the work I did in the old modular Xlib tree.

Thanks for keeping me honest, though.

--Jamey