Release process for Xorg 7.1

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Mar 16 07:56:38 PST 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 00:49, Keith Packard wrote:
> > Xlib is an unknown.  I'd really like to see the XCB stuff released, but
> > it hasn't had even an "0.9" release seeing testing.  I hear it's
> > approaching stability though, and if the --enable-xcb feature from the
> > old /cvs/xlibs version is still in place then my fear diminishes
> > significantly.  Feedback plz.
>
> I don't see this as a viable candidate unless it sees an independent
> release and some wider testing than it's received to date. Katamari
> releases are supposed to consist of "known-good" versions, and while
> Xlib/XCB has made huge progress, it's far from a "known" quantity.

So it sounds like we need an Xlib 1.0.1 for Xorg 7.1, with 1.1 and the XCB
merged targetted at Xorg 7.2 or later.

There's one outstanding bug fix to Xlib that was applied to the CVS tree but
not (iirc) merged to the git tree.  Also, the ModularDevelopersGuide has not
been updated to reflect the new tools needed to check out Xlib; this needs to
be done before 7.1, and preferably before branch selection (March 31), and
it's appropriate that the team driving the change take responsibility for
this task.  Given completion of those two, I'm fine with considering the git
sources canonical for 7.1.

Future SCM migrations need to be announced in advance and documented
similarly.

> > Proto: Composite, Fixes, GL.
> >
> > BORING.  All stable, ship yesterday.
>
> Not quite; Composite is getting the overlay window stuff; should we
> include this in 7.1?

I had to bump compositeproto to even get the X server to build.  This is
clearly a dependency; either we need compositeproto 0.3, or the server needs
to determine which one it has at build time.

> > And then, of course, the server.  It's pretty clear that we'll need to
> > create a stabilization branch by the 31st.  What's not clear is what big
> > remaining work wants to land before then; aiglx was my big wishlist item
> > and that's landed now.  If you have projects that want to land in the
> > next two weeks, and that you think can stabilize enough for release in
> > the six following, speak up quickly.
>
> Overlay windows should be on the list for consideration.

Given the above build hassle I was under the impression this had been merged.
I agree it should make it into 7.1 if possible.

- ajax