Direct Rendering in some cards

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Mar 21 02:58:26 PST 2006

On Mar 21, 06 10:26:33 +1100, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> holborn wrote:
> > Why some models of nvidia video cards brings direct rendering on xorg and not
> > on Xgl?

There is no support for direct rendering on Xgl. Can't be, the
extensions necessary for that aren't even specified yet.

Don't intermix direct rendering with hardware acceleration. OpenGL *is*
hardware accelerated on Xgl, if -accel glx:pbuffer is specified.

> XGL, as it's a nested server. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's
> not accelerated though - nVidia's drivers may provide accelerated
> indirect rendering, but I'm not sure. I know there is work underway in
> the open-source drivers to add accelerated indirect rendering.

Yes, they are, and no, it is not relevant for Xgl. Xgl will provide
indirect rendering independend of that.

CU

Matthias

--