2 dual-head PCIe NVIDIA cards to be one screen

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue May 2 11:09:58 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:01:38PM +0200, Christian Parpart wrote:
> Now, our goal is to have a wide screen for X to spread over those 3 TFT
> displays using the two PCIe NVIDIA gards (both dual-head, as said).
>
> However, we encountered several problems in getting X finding the both cards
> (Xorg 7.0), so he contacted some users at the #irc channel which couldn't
> help much, which is - in fact - why I'm writing here.
>
> Does anyone of you have any kind of expriences in connecting *more* than two
> display devices to X11 and let them serve a desktop?
>
> Most ideally is, to get then OpenGL running atop of the 3 desktop, in
> fullscreen resolution (3*1280x1024 = 3840x1024) to play a game within it.

Well, I did this last year on a SuSE 9.0 machine, with what I believe
was Xfree, and it Just Worked.  The machine took 2 or 3 passes to
detect all three graphics cards, but all I had to do was turn on
Xinerama (as I recall it, or whatever it was called in the XF days, and
the desktop spanned all three cards.

I would tentatively have to assume that if that's stopped working,
something's Broke.

Cheers,
-- jra