Xvideo performance on Radeon 7500 vs Intel 915

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat Nov 25 08:24:19 PST 2006

I have two laptops. One is a 2GHZ Pentium M with an Intel 915GM , and
the other is a 2GHZ Pentium 4 Mobile with a Radeon 7500 Mobility.

HD Mpeg2 playback with xine/vlc/mplayer using the xv extension takes
about 60% of the CPU on the Intel 915 laptop, with only a small amount
showing in the X server itself.

On the Radeon laptop, the cpu is at 100% with some frame dropping, and
the X server shows about 30% if this.

The distributions are a bit different, I have Suse 10.1 on the Intel and
Ubuntu Edgy on the Radeon.

On the surface it seems like the Radeon driver must be doing in software
what the Intel is doing in hardware (scaling).

Is there anything I can do to improve things on the Radeon, or is this a
hardware limitation.